Saturday 15 July 2017

CASE-ing - What, How & Why

I applied to join CASE-ing The Catty when it first began about 3 years ago. I already was using the Stampin' Up!® catalogue for inspiration, so it felt quite natural to step up to the challenge. Sometimes when CASE-ing, especially from the catalogue, which is not called an inspiration book for nothing, I might make an almost-identical copy first. Then usually a spark of inspiration will happen, and I might end up with an original.

So, how do you CASE? Something appeals to your eye - it might be in the catalogue, on Pinterest, a magazine etc. It might be just the colours used. Perhaps it's the design sketch like I'm sharing today. No matter what, there are ways to use the inspiration and not just copy.


I would NOT usually blog about a card like this because it is too close to how the original inspiration looked. However, it is useful to explain the way CASE-ing can be helpful when you've run short of inspiration. This Father's Day card was totally CASE-d from Kris McIntosh at Stamping with Kris. She had used the shoes in circles down the left, designer series paper (different colour) at the bottom of the sketch, and a different sentiment. I was quite pleased with this card to add to my stash. Guy Greetings is a big favourite on my shelf, with some fun masculine images but even better sentiments, including some for relatives.


When I made the next card, I changed the orientation of the patterned paper to down the left side and laid circles on top with a flower cut with the Flourish Thinlets. Such a lovely set of dies, there would be all sorts of variations you could make, with leaves or another of the flowers. The Clear Faceted Gems had just arrived and I was keen to try them out, they do make a nice flower centre.


This CASE of my CASE has had the orientation of the whole card changed from portrait to landscape. The patterned paper is a lot wider, and the circles have been placed on squares, with the feature (stars and rooster) from Wood Words also raised.


It would be difficult to pick that my third card had been inspired by Kris McIntosh at all, and yet she was responsible for reminding me of some design principles. 

1. Use items in odd numbers such as three or five.
2. Use colour unevenly - Gallons, quarts and pints (measurements I understand because I am old enough to remember before Australia went metric). Doesn't seem to convert as well to litres and millilitres. Kris used a lot of white, a medium amount of Crushed Curry and a little Black. In my card above I have used a lot of Crumb Cake, a medium amount of red, and a little white.

In summary then...
WHAT is CASE-ing? To Copy And Selectively Edit is one explanation. Another is to Copy And Share Everything. There is nothing wrong with doing it in the crafting world, but people appreciate being given credit for it.

HOW is by looking for a sketch, picture colour scheme to inspire. The Stampin' Up!® catalogue samples are fair game as they have been produced to help sell the product and the artist has been paid for their work. It is good manners to acknowledge another source, perhaps even contact them. I am much happier if I've been mentioned as the source of inspiration, with a link back to the post on my blog. I have done the same here for Kris.

WHY is because you need to make something and you just can't think. Sometimes its for a sad occasion, or a momentous one, and maybe it's just because you'd feel happy if you made something pretty.

I hope this has been a helpful post, I'd love you to leave a comment with your thoughts on the topic.

Keep on crafting
Rachel




No comments:

Post a Comment

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose. Thank you for taking the time to comment. Rachel