Friday, 29 August 2014

CASE-ing The Catty #7 Home Decor

Here it is, Friday again and this week we are CASE-ing the Catty pages 94-101. This was the week I was fearing the most (I don't do home decor, apart from making quilts), but I ended up enjoying making both my projects, and probably would try something like this again.For this first canvas piece, I didn't choose any one particular item to CASE, but in general, looking at page 95, I decided that it would be fun to use the Decorative Masks. I decided sponging a cushion cover looked a bit too tricky, so I bought a stretched canvas from an art & craft store. The piece of card the photo is mounted on has been spritzed with the large dots mask, using a Stampin' Spritzer with Lost Lagoon re-inker to colour. It looks very faint in that particular photo.

While that was drying I took a sponge and using Hello Honey, sponged straight from the ink pad. The mask was placed side-ways on the canvas, and needed to be moved a couple of times to cover the area. I liked the way the stars were quite dense on the left and scattered thinly on the right.

This was the first time I'd used Little Letters Thinlets. They needed to be placed in a straight line so I could use the negative of  'FAMILY' at the base of the card, and I used the perspex Big Shot sheet over grid paper to help get everything lined up, and a little bit of washi tape held them in place. The peg and butterfly pennant are actually recycled from a Make & Take from the Stampin' Up!® South Pacific Convention. I've used glue dots to attach everything, and if the photo and card backing become dated/tired, it will be easy to replace them.

For my second project, I had admired the Letter on page 96, which has been covered with DSP. I wanted to stamp mine with I love Lace using Blackberry Bliss. Originally, this was to be my main project, because I'd imagined how beautifully it would turn out. Then, I had trouble getting the white paint work even. Apparently I'm not very good at painting!!!! I'd used what I could find in the shed, which seems to be a gloss or semi-gloss. The letter was too large to stamp just once, and there was a slight overlapping in the stamped image. Finally, I left it to dry for 5 hours, and it still was as wet as ever, so I took a baby wipe to remove the ink and start again.

That's when it became apparent that the ink had taken, and the result was a lovely, lacy shade of pink. I decided at that point to leave well-enough alone and stamped and punched some small flowers for the finishing touch.

My hints for this project:
I'd suggest a flat paint would work better.
Even better, purchase a painted letter, not raw.
I wonder if the ink would have dried with heat applied.

And if you have ever tried doing this, I'd welcome your tips too!!!!

Now, do you know that we'd love for you to join us for this challenge? 
  • Take inspiration for Home Decor from those pages of your countries Stampin' Up! catalogue. In Australia/New Zealand it is pages 94-101.
  • Mention CTC in your blog and link back to the challenge blog
  • Share which project you cased, the page number and catalogue country.
  • Stampin' Up!® products only, current or retired.
Hope to have you join us at Case-ing The Catty,

Australian residents, you can shop in my online store 24/7, delivery by Australia Post.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Rachel, double delight with the canvas wall art and letter décor. You have excelled yourself this week. Awesome projects.


In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose. Thank you for taking the time to comment. Rachel